What is an EAGx conference?
An EAGx conference is a locally-organised conference for people interested in effective altruism (EA). An EAGx event takes place over 1-2 days and will typically involve:
- Talks and workshops on pressing problems that the EA community is currently trying to address and ideas to help the community achieve its goals
- The opportunity to meet and share advice with other EAs in the community, including meet-ups for people who share interests or backgrounds
- Social events at and around the conference
Who are EAGx conferences for?
EAGx conferences are primarily for people who are:
- Familiar with the core ideas of effective altruism
- Interested in learning more about what to do
- From the region or country where the conference is taking place (or living there)
We consider people familiar with the core ideas of EA if they have completed an EA introductory program or have engaged with EA content for at least 20 hours. We encourage everyone at or above this level to apply to attend EAGx conferences.
__You can apply for a free online introductory program here.
We want to make sure that everyone who meets the above criteria can attend an EAGx.
- If there is not a conference taking place near you, please still apply to every conference you wish to attend. If you are accepted, we can cover travel and accommodation costs to ensure that you can attend at least one of these conferences.
- If you apply to more than one and spaces are limited, we may recommend that you just attend the conference nearest you.
If you want to attend but are unsure about whether to apply, please always err on the side of applying.
There are also EA Global conferences. These conferences are for people who are knowledgeable about the core ideas of effective altruism and are taking significant actions (e.g. work or study) based on these ideas. You can attend both EAG and EAGx conferences.
Why is it called EAGx?
Just like there are TED and TEDx conferences, there are EAG and EAGx conferences. The 'x' indicates that this is an independently organised EAG event… but if you’re feeling creative, “x” can also stand for “extraordinary”, “extra cool” or “particularly exciting for newcomers to EA”.
Where will EAGx conferences happen this year?
We are currently organising the following events. All dates are provisional and may change in response to local COVID-19 restrictions.
- EAGx Oxford: 26 - 27 March
- EAGx Boston: March/April
- EAGx Prague (rescheduled): May
- EAGx Singapore: May
- EAGx Sydney: July
- EAGx Berlin: September/October
Can I organise an EAGx conference?
If you are interested in organising an EAGx conference, please contact email@example.com.
A formal application process for running EAGx conferences will launch in early 2022, but feel free to contact us to express your interest now.